Accelerated Bachelors to Masters (MSSM-ABM)
The MSSM-ABM is designed to allow undergraduate students currently enrolled in the human performance/fitness management concentration in the Health Sciences program the opportunity to enter the Master of Science in Sports Medicine program after completing 90 credit hours. ABM students complete the 2-year MSSM program in only 1.5 years, reducing time-demand and tuition expenses.
The program provides students with both internship and research opportunities as well as a variety of electives to allow for specialization.
Once completed, students will be prepared for careers in the fields of fitness/wellness, strength and conditioning, sport science, and health professions. In addition, students will be equipped with the skills needed to continue their education in physical therapy, occupational therapy, orthotics and prosthetics, physician assistant, or medical school.
Any of the following (9 hours) can be taken by MSSM-ABM students to apply towards the MSSM.
|Assess/Eval Injury & Illness I
|Movement/Posture Assmnt & Exer
|Nutritional Issues/Sports Med
|Phys Actvty Disease Prev/Treat
|Healthy Wght Mgmt & Body Comp
|Performance Evaluation and Exercise Testing
|Fundamentals of Biomechanics and Human Movement
|Total Credit Hours
Community Fitness Supervisor
Fitness Industry Professional
Corporate Fitness/Wellness Directors
Hospital Wellness Coordinator
Clinical Exercise Physiologist
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Sports/Tactical)
Students may be accepted into the MSSM-ABM program if all the following criteria are met:
- Student must have earned a minimum 90 credit hours and have completed an COGS application for admission for the MSSM-ABM program.
- Student must have completed all core courses at Georgia Southern University with no failures or repeats. A grade lower than a “C” in Areas A, D or F is considered a failure.
- Student must be a declared major in the Bachelor of Health Science degree program, enrolled in the Human Performance/Fitness Management concentration.
- Student must have a minimum GPA of 3.2.
- Student must not have earned any grade lower than a “B” in any major course (excluding Area F).
- Student must have scored at least 290 or higher on GRE.
Last updated: 12/19/2023