Assistive Technology Learning Lending Lab (ATL3)
The Georgia Southern Assistive Technology Learning Lending Lab is a College of Education initiative to provide information and resources to faculty and students for the use of assistive technology in K-12 and university settings. The learning lending lab operates as:
- A learning lab for university professors and students on the Statesboro and Armstrong campuses.
- A lending library for Georgia Southern students to apply their learning in school and community settings.
- A training and resource library for professors to infuse assistive technology into their coursework and community outreach projects.
Lending Lab Hours of Operation
Spring 2024 Hours: TBA
College of Education, Room 2158
Spring 2024 Hours: TBA
What Is Assistive Technology ?
Assistive Technology (AT) is any product, equipment, or system that enhances learning, working, or living for individuals with disabilities (ATiA, https://www.atia.org/home/at-resources/what-is-at/). Assistive technology in the classroom can be physical equipment in the learning environment (high tech, low tech, and even no tech) but it can also describe the services that students are provided to increase their access learning materials, their ability to express themselves, or their engagement in lessons.
Assistive Technology in Action
- Class Assignments:
- Student Resources
- Assistive Technology Consortium (WEB):
- “A RESA (Southeast GLRS) supported community that is centered around providing the best AT tools for Georgia teachers serving students in Special Education. Regular meetings review this resource page and provide training. Join a meeting to learn more about assistive technology tools, implementation procedures, and support available to your district. Sessions include AT experts to expand on new content and answer questions for participants, topics based on participant requests and needs.”
- Georgia Tools for Life (PDF):
- “Tools for Life, Georgia’s Assistive Technology Act Program, is dedicated to increasing access to and acquisition of assistive technology (AT) devices and services for Georgians of all ages and disabilities so they can live, learn, work and play independently and with greater freedom in communities of their choice.” Tools for Life is a partner of the Georgia Southern Assistive Technology Learning Lending Lab.
Assistive Technology in The News
- AT in Online Instruction (PDF)
- Using the Adapted Texts from NewsELA in Remote Teaching (WEB)
- National Public Radio stories on assistive technology – https://www.npr.org/tags/477055867/assistive-technology (WEB)
- Developing Assistive Technology- https://www.wichita.edu/about/wsunews/news/2019/12-dec/levy_engr_202_7.php (WEB)
- Boards help nonverbal students communicate during recess (WEB)
- Dad builds Nintendo games controller for disabled daughter (WEB)
- An 11-year-old ‘Star Wars’ fan got an R2-D2 bionic arm (WEB)
Last updated: 12/26/2023