When are the Spring 2021 graduation ceremonies?
Georgia Southern University is planning six separate ceremonies, spaced out over five days:
- Saturday, May 8 at 10 a.m. in the Savannah Convention Center in Savannah for any undergraduate or graduate candidates who choose to graduate in Savannah from the colleges of Arts and Humanities, Business, Education, Science and Mathematics, Behavioral and Social Sciences, and Engineering and Computing. (4 guest tickets per candidate)
- Saturday, May 8 at 3 p.m. in the Savannah Convention Center in Savannah for any undergraduate or graduate candidates who choose to graduate in Savannah from the colleges of Health Professions, and Public Health. (4 guest tickets per candidate)
- Monday, May 10 at 9 a.m. in Paulson Stadium in Statesboro for undergraduate candidates who choose to graduate in Statesboro from the colleges of Arts and Humanities, Health Professions, and Public Health. (5 guest tickets per candidate)
- Tuesday, May 11 at 9 a.m. in Paulson Stadium in Statesboro for undergraduate candidates who choose to graduate in Statesboro from the colleges of Business, Education, and Science and Mathematics. (5 guest tickets per candidate)
- Wednesday, May 12 at 9 a.m. in Paulson Stadium in Statesboro for undergraduate candidates who choose to graduate in Statesboro from the colleges of Behavioral and Social Sciences, and Engineering and Computing. (5 guest tickets per candidate)
- Thursday, May 13 at 9 a.m. in Paulson Stadium in Statesboro for graduate candidates who choose to graduate in Statesboro from the Jack N. Averitt College of Graduate Studies. (5 guest tickets per candidate)
How long will each ceremony last?
We anticipate the ceremonies to last no longer than 90 minutes each.
Do graduates need a ticket to get into the ceremony?
No, your cap and gown is your ticket.
Do family members and guests need tickets?
All guests, regardless of age and including currently enrolled students, are required to have a ticket for entry to the Savannah Convention Center. Graduating students and attendees at Paulson Stadium in Statesboro do not need a ticket.
How do I get my guest tickets?
Guest tickets will be sent to your student email account.
When will I receive my guest tickets for Commencement?
Guest tickets will be sent to all students that reserved them closer to the ceremony dates.
How can graduates reserve commencement tickets and RSVP?
Candidates should check their Georgia Southern email account for a message from “graduation@” on Monday, March 22 to RSVP and choose the location of their ceremony and the number of tickets that they need for their guests.
So, what are my options if I’m graduating with a master’s, specialist or doctorate degree?
Graduate students can choose to graduate in Savannah on Saturday, May 8 OR in Statesboro on Thursday, May 13.
The choice of which ceremony to attend in Savannah on May 8 depends on the college associated with your degree. The 10 a.m. ceremony is for the colleges of Arts and Humanities, Business, Education, Science and Mathematics, Behavioral and Social Sciences, and Engineering and Computing. The 3 p.m. ceremony is for the colleges of Health Professions, and Public Health. (4 guest tickets per candidate)
The May 13 ceremony is only for graduate students — associated with any college — who select Statesboro as the location where they want to graduate. (5 guest tickets per candidate)
Will I get my diploma at the ceremony?
You will receive your diploma cover at the ceremony. You will receive your diploma in the mail approximately six to eight weeks after the semester you complete degree requirements.
How do I get my regalia (cap and gown) and from where?
Students may reserve their cap and gown from Herff Jones. Details on cap and gown pickup will be posted on the Office of the Registrar’s graduation information page.
Will there be a commencement speaker?
Yes. there will be a different speaker for each ceremony. Learn more about the speakers for each ceremony.
Will there be a practice for any ceremony?
No. Participants need to arrive at least one hour before the ceremony begins for line up and directions.
Does the stadium’s policies apply to the commencement ceremony in Paulson Stadium?
Yes, for commencement, both graduates and guests must comply with the policies that are required by Paulson Stadium fan code of conduct. View the code of conduct guidelines.
What about inclement weather?
The ceremonies at Paulson Stadium are outside events and will take place rain or shine unless the weather is threatening and compromising safety. There will be no rain plan.
In the chance of rain, candidates and guests are encouraged to be prepared for wet conditions. Please dress appropriately — including footwear that will be safe for slippery surfaces; take extra time for travel and finding your seat; and prepare appropriately for the weather.
For everyone’s convenience, umbrellas and rain ponchos will be allowed for guests and for candidates.
If I have a disability and have concerns about participating in the ceremony, what should I do?
Contact the Student Accessibility Resource Center at 912-478-1566.
Will face coverings be required?
Face coverings will be required for all guests and graduates inside the Savannah Convention Center. For the outdoor ceremonies at Paulson Stadium in Statesboro, no tickets will be required. Face-coverings are still encouraged, but will not be required.
Someone in our party is unable to walk long distances. Can we drop them off at the venue before we park?
At Paulson Stadium the parking spaces are very close to the stadium entrance and the road in front of the Stadium will be closed for drop off.
At the Savannah Convention Center, because of construction, there is not enough parking for guests. You will need to park at the pit & paddock remote parking lot where a shuttle will drop you off near the entrance of the Convention Center.
Are there other options for parking for the Savannah ceremonies?
The Savannah Belles Ferry system provides free passage across the Savannah River between downtown’s riverwalk and Hutchinson Island, home of the Savannah Convention Center and Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa.
The fully accessible ferry boats, which accommodate bicycles, operate from 7 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week. Click here to see the Savannah Belles Ferry schedule.
Will Wifi be available?
Yes. Wifi is available at Paulson Stadium and at the Savannah Convention Center. The wifi SSID at both venues is GoEagles_WIFI. Paulson Stadium’s improved wifi service is thanks to additional University investment and additional donations from Bulloch Telephone Cooperative.
Will concessions be available at Paulson Stadium or the Savannah Convention Center?
No; COVID-19 precautions are preventing us from offering this option.