Eagle Alert! Emergency Messaging System
Georgia Southern University has implemented an emergency message alert notification system as one method to contact members of the institution in the event of an emergency.
In April 2012, the University added a new feature to its Eagle Alert system that automates emergency messages in the event a Tornado Warning is issued by the National Weather Service. The Tornado Warning feature sends a message when the National Weather Service issues a Tornado Warning for our area. Warnings are issued when a tornado has been spotted or conditions indicate that a tornado is imminent.
As a reminder, Eagle Alert is designed to complement other warning systems and is not intended to be the only method you use for information in the event of an emergency.
Update Your Info
Statesboro Campus students, faculty and staff may update their emergency contact information in MyGeorgiaSouthern.
- Visit https://my.georgiasouthern.edu
- Login using your username/password
- Update your emergency contact information by clicking on “Personal Settings” or the Eagle Alert Channel. If you have a cell phone, please be sure to include that number. EAGLE ALERT will use that number to try to contact you via phone or text message in the event of an emergency.
Armstrong and Liberty Campuses students (all) — and faculty and staff not yet migrated over to the Georgia Southern system:
- Log into Port of Armstrong.
- In the Operational Status area, click on Update your Blast contact information.
- Enter any changes to your information and click Submit Changes. If you experience problems updating your BLAST information, please contact the Helpdesk at 912-478-2287 or via email at email@example.com.
Note: While Georgia Southern University’s emergency message alert system is free of charge, your cell phone provider may charge a fee for delivery of text messages based on your current calling plan.
This service is required and will be used only for potential, developing or existing emergencies.
In the event of an emergency, you will receive a Georgia Southern University emergency message alert advising you of the situation and directing you to additional information. In addition, an alert message will be available and updated at the Eagle Alert Phone System at 912-681-5588.
Read the Frequently Asked Questions for more information about the emergency message alert system.
Getting the word out – quickly and efficiently
The goal of the Eagle Alert! system is to be able to communicate vital information to the University community as quickly and efficiently as possible during a crisis. The Eagle Alert! system is just one of the ways that the University communicates in a crisis. Eagle Alert! is not intended to be the only method to reach the University community.
In addition to the text message alert system, several other communications systems are utilized including:
- University email
- Georgia Southern University website
- MyGeorgiaSouthern website
Students and employees are also encouraged to check other public notification systems including television, radio, weather alerts and Internet as needed.
Reporting Problems with Notifications
If you are not affiliated with Georgia Southern University and are receiving unwanted Eagle Alert notifications, please complete the Report Wrong Number form to have your contact information removed from our system.
If you are a University student, faculty or staff member and are not receiving Eagle Alert notifications, please double-check your contact information in MyGeorgiaSouthern. If it is entered correctly in MyGS, click here to submit your phone number for confirmation.