Paying for School
The Georgia Southern University Financial Aid Department is committed to assisting you in finding ways to bridge the gap between family resources and educational expenses for summer classes. Summer aid is made up of loans, and to a limited extent, grants, HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarships for eligible Georgia students, and federal work-study.
What Do I Need To Know?
- Must have a completed 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file.
- Must be enrolled at least half-time to receive student loans.
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Attendance must be verified before financial aid will disburse.
- If you are a visiting (transient) student please view the Financial Aid Website for a checklist of steps to be completed.
- Contact your financial aid counselor by email at finaid@GeorgiaSouthern.edu
Important Priority Dates
- NOW: Students need to register for summer classes and have a 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file before our office can review financial aid eligibility.
- March 2018: Summer financial aid awarding will begin in March 2018 and continue throughout the summer term.
- April 2018: If any additional information is needed from the student, we will contact you through your Georgia Southern WINGS account.
Summer Federal Pell Grants
- These grants are based on remaining eligibility for undergraduate students. Pell Grant does not have to be repaid.
- Undergraduates who enrolled less than full-time for either fall 2017 or spring 2018 may have remaining Pell Grant funds available for summer.
- Students will automatically be reviewed for remaining Pell Grant eligibility after registering for summer classes.
- Class attendance must be verified before disbursement of Pell Grants.
Loans must be repaid and you must be enrolled and verified as attending at least half-time during the summer semester in order to be eligible to receive a summer loan (for undergraduate at least 6 credit hours; for graduate at least 3 credit hours).
- Federal Stafford Loans: Students who did not borrow the annual federal loan amounts may have remaining loan eligibility for summer semester. Students will automatically be checked for remaining loan eligibility after registering for summer classes.
- Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS): Dependent undergraduate students who have received their maximum loan amounts or do not have remaining Stafford Loan eligibility may apply for the PLUS. The application is located on our Financial Aid website.
- Graduate PLUS: Graduate students who have received their maximum amount in loans or need additional funds can apply for the federal direct graduate/professional plus loan. The application is located on our Financial Aid website.
- Private Loan: If eligible, the Financial Aid office will certify a private loan; however, we do not make lender recommendations to students. Please consult our Financial Aid website for additional information.
HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarships
The HOPE and Zell Miller scholarships are for Georgia residents and are based on a student’s academic achievement.
- Hope pays about 85% of the 2018 summer tuition rate for eligible students.
- Zell Miller pays 100% of summer tuition for eligible students.
- Students must have a 2017-2018 FAFSA or GSFAPP on file.
- Incoming freshmen students who graduated with a high school core curriculum GPA of at least a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale may qualify.
- Students who did not qualify as an incoming freshman can be checked for HOPE eligibility at 30, 60 and 90 attempted hours. Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
Georgia Southern University has many Student Assistant and Work Study Student Assistant positions available throughout each term. All positions are posted on the Student Employment Center’s website https://employment.georgiasouthern.edu/postings.
- Student Assistant Positions: These positions are available to all Georgia Southern University students enrolled in at least six (6) or more credit hours or graduate students in at least three (3) credit hours during the Fall and Spring semesters
- Federal Work-Study Program- No changes
- Graduate Assistantships: Visit the College of Graduate Studies website to learn how to apply for assistantships http://cogs.georgiasouthern.edu/gahiring/. You can also search our job postings at https://w3.georgiasouthern.edu/cogs/gapositions/.
The Office of Student Accounts offers a payment plan through Nelnet for the students with current registration. Students can sign up for the plan by the deadline dates listed in the following links. Sign up for a summer payment plan for the Statesboro Campus or the Armstrong and Liberty Campuses.
For more information regarding the Armstrong and Liberty Campuses call 912-344-3243.