Paying for School
The Georgia Southern University Financial Aid Department is committed to assisting you in finding ways to bridge the gap between family resources and educational expenses for summer classes. Summer aid is made up of loans, and to a limited extent, grants, HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarships for eligible Georgia students, and federal work-study
What Do I Need To Know?
- Must have a completed 2014/2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file.
- Must be enrolled at least half-time to receive student loans.
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Attendance must be verified before financial aid will disburse.
- If you are a visiting (transient) student please view the Financial Aid Website for a checklist of steps to be completed.
- Contact your financial aid counselor by email at finaid@GeorgiaSouthern.edu
Important Priority Dates
- NOW: Students need to register for summer classes and have a 2014-2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file before our office can review financial aid eligibility.
- March 2015: Summer financial aid awarding will begin in March 2015 and continue throughout the summer term.
- April 2015: If any additional information is needed from the student, we will contact you through your Georgia Southern WINGS account.
Summer Federal Pell Grants
- These grants are based on remaining eligibility for undergraduate students. Pell Grant does not have to be repaid.
- Undergraduates who enrolled less than full-time for either fall 2014 or spring 2015 may have remaining Pell Grant funds available for summer.
- Students will automatically be reviewed for remaining Pell Grant eligibility after registering for summer classes.
- Class attendance must be verified before disbursement of Pell Grants.
Loans must be repaid and you must be enrolled and verified as attending at least half-time during the summer semester in order to be eligible to receive a summer loan (for undergraduate at least 6 credit hours; for graduate at least 3 credit hours).
- Federal Stafford Loans: Students who did not borrow the annual federal loan amounts may have remaining loan eligibility for summer semester. Students will automatically be checked for remaining loan eligibility after registering for summer classes.
- Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS): Dependant undergraduate students who have received their maximum loan amounts or do not have remaining Stafford Loan eligibility may apply for the PLUS. The application is located on our Financial Aid website.
- Graduate PLUS: Graduate students who have received their maximum amount in loans or need additional funds can apply for the federal direct graduate/professional plus loan. The application is located on our Financial Aid website.
- Private Loan: If eligible, the Financial Aid office will certify a private loan; however, we do not make lender recommendations to students. Please consult our Financial Aid website for additional information.
HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarships
The HOPE and Zell Miller scholarships are for Georgia residents and is based on a student’s academic achievement.
- Hope pays about 85% of the 2015 summer tuition rate for eligible students.
- Zell Miller pays 100% of summer tuition for eligible students.
- Students must have a 2014/15 FAFSA or GSFAPP on file.
- Incoming freshmen students who graduated with a high school core curriculum GPA of at least a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale may qualify.
- Students who did not qualify as an incoming freshman can be checked for HOPE eligibility at 30, 60 and 90 attempted hours. Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA.
- Institutional Jobs: The University has many institutional jobs which are posted on the Georgia Southern Student Employment Center’s website: GeorgiaSouthern.edu/sec
- Federal Work-Study Program: The federally funded work-study program is an opportunity for eligible students to work on campus. Funding for this program is limited. Additional information is located on our website.
Payment plans may be available through the Office of Student Accounts, if registered with classes and signed up with NelNet. For information call (912) 478-0999, email email@example.com or visit here.