Georgia Southern University is the state’s largest and most comprehensive center of higher education south of Atlanta. With 124 degree programs at the baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern has been designated a Carnegie Doctoral-Research university and provides the classic residential campus experience and online learning options to nearly 20,500 students from 49 states and 86 nations. Georgia Southern’s nationally accredited academic programs prepare diverse scholars for leadership and service as world citizens. A unit of the University System of Georgia, the University boasts 200-plus student organizations, outstanding Division I athletics, and state-of-the art residence halls and campus facilities. Since 1906, the University’s hallmark has been a culture of engagement that bridges theory with practice, extends the learning environment beyond the classroom, and promotes student growth and life success. Central to the University’s mission is the faculty’s dedication to excellence in teaching and the development of a fertile learning environment exemplified by a free exchange of ideas, high academic expectations, and individual responsibility for academic achievement. Faculty, staff, and students embrace core values expressed through integrity, civility, kindness, collaboration, and a commitment to lifelong learning, wellness, and social responsibility.
Georgia Southern University
Georgia’s “large-scale, small-feel” research University
At A Glance
- Georgia Southern University’s online degree programs in business, education, IT and bachelor’s program ranked among the nation’s best among U.S. News & World Report’s Top Online Education Programs.
- Named one of Newsweek’s 12 Top Business Schools of 2014. In addition, BestColleges.com recognized the College as having one of the Top 30 Best Online MBA Programs in the nation.
- College of Education ranked among the Top 75 Best Online Graduate Education Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Granted the first undergraduate manufacturing engineering program in the state of Georgia.
- The College of Business Administration houses the only School of Economic Development in the Southeastern United States. Students assist with economic development projects for area municipalities and regions across the state.
- Georgia Southern’s Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health was the first such facility in the University System of Georgia and is one of only 48 in the country to be accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health.
- Herty Advanced Materials Development Center is a world-leader in materials research and product development.
- Georgia Southern University’s online master’s degree in Sports Management has been ranked No. 6 by the website TopManagementDegrees.com.
- The Georgia Southern University Golf Course was named to Golf Digest’s prestigious “2014 Best New Golf Courses” list.
- Main campus includes more than 100 buildings and 900 acres, including a Performing Arts Center, Planetarium, Museum, the Center for Wildlife Education and the Garden of the Coastal Plain.