On Dec. 1, 1906, delegates from Statesboro, Georgia traveled to the DeSoto Hotel in Savannah and offered the winning bid to create the First District Agricultural School to be located in Statesboro. Just 29 years later and only a few blocks away on Bull Street in Savannah, Armstrong Junior College was established at the historic Armstrong House.*
Check out our COVID-19 response page for full information on how the university is adapting to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Both institutions were created to serve their communities, make them more attractive to businesses and offer better career prospects to their residents. Ever since their creation, both schools excelled in their mission and continued to invest in southeast Georgia and expand the opportunities of their graduates.
Today, as one University, Georgia Southern is the state’s largest and most comprehensive center of higher education south of Atlanta. With 141 degree programs at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern has been designated a public Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution and serves 26,054 students from all 50 states, Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico as well as 102 nations. With three vibrant campuses — the Statesboro Campus, the Armstrong Campus in Savannah and the Liberty Campus in Hinesville — Georgia Southern offers an attractive campus environment that encourages learning, discovery and personal growth. Georgia Southern’s nationally accredited academic programs prepare diverse scholars for leadership and service as world citizens. A unit of the University System of Georgia, the University boasts 200-plus student organizations, outstanding Division I athletics and state-of-the art residence halls and campus facilities.
Since 1906, the University’s hallmark has been a culture of engagement that bridges theory with practice, extends the learning environment beyond the classroom and promotes student growth and life success. Central to the University’s mission is the faculty’s dedication to excellence in teaching and the development of a fertile learning environment exemplified by a free exchange of ideas, high academic expectations and individual responsibility for academic achievement. Faculty, staff, and students embrace core values expressed through integrity, civility, kindness, collaboration and a commitment to lifelong learning, wellness and social responsibility.
* Historical notes taken from “The Southern Century: Georgia Southern University, 1906-2006” by Delma Eugene Presley, and “From the Mansion to the University: A History of Armstrong Atlantic State University” by Janet D. Stone.
At A Glance
- Named a “Military-Friendly ” school for the ninth year in a row by Viqtory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs, STEM Jobs and Military Spouse magazine, ranked one of the “Best for Vets” according to CollegeFactual, is number one in the “Best Education Options for Veterans” by Veterans News Report, ranked number one in the “Top 60 Military Friendly Colleges” by Intelligent.com and number one in the best schools for military students by Best for Vets Colleges.
- Georgia Southern University has been included on the prestigious Green Ribbon Schools list by the U.S. Department of Education
- For the ninth year in a row, Georgia Southern University was named one of the nation’s top eco-friendly campuses in The Princeton Review’s Guide to Green Colleges
- Included in the “50 Best Nonprofit Colleges and Universities for Online Doctorates” by Nonprofit Colleges Online
- For the third year in a row, Georgia Southern University has been recognized as a Gold Level Campus by Exercise is Medicine® on Campus (EIM®-OC) for the University’s diligence to make physical activities a standard on campus.
- Georgia Southern is ranked in the top 5 percent of schools for gender diversity and very high in overall diversity according to CollegeFactual
- Georgia Southern is ranked number one in the “Top 60 Most Affordable Online Colleges” by Intelligent.com
- Georgia Southern is ranked number one in the “Top 60 Online Ph.D. Programs” by Intelligent.com
- Ranked number one in the 2020 list of lowest cost for higher education for “Best College Towns and Cities” for Savannah and number four for Statesboro for “Share of Rental Units” by WalletHub
- Ranked number one for “Best Online Colleges in Georgia” by Learn.org
- Georgia Southern’s Jiann-Ping Hsu College of Public Health was the first such facility in the University System of Georgia and is one of only 48 in the country to be accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health and is also ranked number one in the “Best Schools in the Nation for a Master’s in Public Health” by SR Education Group
- The Allen E. Paulson College of Engineering and Computing is home to the first undergraduate Manufacturing Engineering program in the state of Georgia, one of only 20 such programs nationwide.
- Georgia Southern is one of only 14 schools in the country that have both the National Security Agency/Department of Homeland Security Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education and the Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center designation as a Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence. Georgia Southern also maintains a Memorandum of Understanding with the U.S. Army Cyber Center of Excellence as an academic training partner for the U.S. Army Cyber workforce.
- The College of Education is number one in the Southeast and number four in the nation for the “Top 45 Master’s of Education in Higher Education Administration” by Intelligent.com and number one in the nation for “Best Online Master’s in Educational Leadership Program with Best Student Support” by OnlineMasters.com.
- The Parker College of Business is number one for the “Best Online MBA Programs in Georgia” by MBACompass.com, number one in the “Top 50 Online Master’s in Business Administration“, number one in “Top 20 Online Master’s in Economics”, number one in the South and number 10 nationwide (Master of Accounting Online, WebMAcc) in the “Top 60 Online Accounting Degrees” by Intelligent.com and number one for “Most Affordable College Online for a Master’s in Economics” by OnlineU
- The Waters College of Health Professions is number one in the “Top 40 Online Master’s in Coaching”, number one in the “Top 50 Online Nurse Practitioner Programs” number one in the “Top 50 Online Sports Management Degrees” (master’s degree) by Intelligent.com and number one in the “20 Most Affordable Online BSN Degrees” by College Choice.