Skip to main content

Transferring F-1 Status

Transferring Your F-1 Status from Another U.S. School

If you are coming to Georgia Southern University as a transfer student from another U.S. school, you can have your F-1 status transferred.  Students who transfer their visa status do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.  They also do not need to apply for a new visa unless their current F-1 visa has expired and they need to re-enter the U.S. to attend Georgia Southern.

Be aware! F-1 visa law allows only 60 days following the completion of a program of study (meeting degree requirements; not necessarily the ending date on the I-20 or the date of commencement exercises) or the last day of OPT employment for students to be officially admitted and have their SEVIS records released to the new school.

Failure to have the SEVIS record released within this 60-day grace period will result in F-1 status ending.  The student will either need to leave the U.S., pay another SEVIS fee, and apply for a new F-1 visa, OR apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to be reinstated to F-1 status.  It is important to submit all application materials and SEVIS documentation early!

To facilitate the release of your SEVIS record to Georgia Southern University, complete the SEVIS Transfer-In Form provided within the I-20 Request in the ISAP Portal, along with evidence of official admission (email from the Admissions Office or a copy of your acceptance letter).  Ask your advisor to complete the bottom section and to transfer your SEVIS record to Georgia Southern University.  Note: if you are considering more than one school, do not request your SEVIS record to be released until you have made your final decision – but keep the 60-day deadline in mind.

Last updated: 4/20/2022