Skip to main content

Transferring to Georgia Southern

banner showing a mixture of transfer student types, researching in the field, military students with family, and studying.

Transferring to Georgia Southern

Still have questions? Need more info?

Whether you’ve just started thinking about transferring or need help with your existing application, our Personalized Transfer Student Guide has answers tailored to you! Fill out the form if you want personalized tips on financial aid, scholarships, transfer application requirements and more!

Explore Your Options

president with students

See What Transfers

Credit transfers, credit by exam, and military credit.

Student and music equipment

Explore Majors

Explore our over 138 degree programs to find your right match.

Speak with an Admissions Counselor 

Schedule a one-on-one video chat.

View Upcoming Events

Visit campus, attend workshops and more!

Transfer Student Types and Requirements

Transfer students are those who have attended one or more regionally accredited postsecondary institution(s) since graduating from high school. These students may have earned credit transferable to Georgia Southern, but have never attended Georgia Southern as more than a transient.

Learn more about applying as a transfer student.

A mature freshman is someone whose high school class graduated at least five years ago and who has either no college experience or less than 30 transferable credits.

Learn more about becoming a student as an adult.

A transient is an undergraduate student in good standing at another institution who enrolls for one semester at Georgia Southern University in order to complete work to be transferred back to the home institution.

Learn more about applying as a transient student.

A post-baccalaureate is a student that has received a bachelor’s degree from another institution and wants to enroll in additional undergraduate level courses. They may or may not seek to earn a second undergraduate degree.

Learn more about applying as a post-baccalaureate student.

Former students are those that have attended Georgia Southern before, have sat out for a year or more, and are looking to return to complete an undergraduate degree.

Learn more about how to re-enroll at Georgia Southern.

Pathways to Georgia Southern

Explore why you were not admitted at this time and the several ways for you to enroll at one of our campuses after receiving a decision.

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

Should I apply as a regular transfer student, conditional transfer student, or freshman transfer student?

On your application, you will simply select transfer student. These are simply 3 different ways we may evaluate your application for admission based on how many hours you have completed and/or have in progress.

Do I need to submit my high school transcript and ACT or SAT test scores?

Students with more than 30 transferable semester hours, who have been out of high school for more than 5 years, or who have completed a college-level Area A Math and English will not be required to submit test scores. However, if you do not fall into one of those categories, test scores may be required based on your high school GPA. If you have earned less than 30 hours, then we will need your final high school transcript. 

I need to take an Area A English or Math course at another institution. How do I know which course to take?

Please reference our Transfer Course Equivalency Page for assistance. While on the page select the institution where you plan to take the learning support course. Then look under the subject of the co-requisite course that is needed. Math courses with “AMAT” attribute should satisfy the learning support deficiency for Math and English courses with “AENG” attribute should satisfy the learning support requirements for English.

If I don’t have a great college GPA, can I just start over and apply as a beginning freshman?

No. If you have ever attended college post- high school graduation, you must apply as a transfer, and the University System of Georgia requires us to evaluate all of your attempted transferable hours. Failure to disclose institutions may result in issues enrolling in the University. Don’t worry though, if needed, we have some pathways and options to help you reach your goal of becoming a GS Eagle!

I would like to take courses at another institution before I transfer to Georgia Southern. What courses should I take?

We recommend that you focus on completing transferable general education courses. Please review Georgia Southern’s Core Curriculum Requirements as a guide. You can cross reference our University’s core curriculum with our Transfer Course Equivalency page to see if the courses you plan to take may transfer over to a similar course at Georgia Southern! 

As a transfer student, am I required to live on campus?

As long as you have 30 transferable credit hours, you are not required to live on campus. If you have less than 30 credit hours, please make sure to review the First Year Live On Campus Requirement exemption list.

Questions Related to Transcripts and Transcript Requests

How do I send my transcript to Georgia Southern University?

Most schools now have the option to send us an electronic PDF directly through a third-party vendor. All you would need to do is log into your student portal at your previous institution and submit an electronic request or contact their Registrar’s office and let them know you want a transcript sent to the Georgia Southern Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This is the recommended method as it usually arrives the quickest. If an email is required for this method please provide

If your school does not have this option, they can fax the transcript to 912-478-7240, or mail it to:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
P.O. Box 8024
Statesboro, GA 30460

Can I send my official college transcripts if I am currently enrolled in classes?

Absolutely! We encourage applicants to submit their official preliminary college transcripts. The sooner you send us your official transcripts and receive an admission decision, the more options you will have for classes, on-campus housing, and financial aid. However, if this is your very first semester, you can simply email your current course schedule to until you have grades earned at that institution.

Do you really need ALL of my transcripts?

Yes, please send transcripts from each of your previously attended institutions and please make sure that they are official. We cannot evaluate transfer credits listed on a college transcript if they were earned at a different institution.

I have requested my transcripts, how long will it take for my status check page to update?

We have a 2-3 week processing window for all incoming documents. Once your application is marked as “complete and ready for review,” please continue to monitor your status check page for a decision in the coming weeks. 

Don’t see your question? Contact one of our Transfer Counselors

What Our Transfer Students Have to Say

Tutorials and Helpful Tip Videos

Have Questions? Contact Us!

P.O. Box 8024 Statesboro, GA 30460

Last updated: 12/12/2022