Study Abroad in Rouen, France – Minimester II
The Country: France
France, in Western Europe, encompasses medieval cities, alpine villages and Mediterranean beaches. Paris, its capital, is famed for fashion houses; classical art museums, like the Louvre; and iconic monuments, including the Eiffel Tower. The country is also renowned for its wines and sophisticated cuisine. Lascaux’s ancient cave drawings, the medieval abbey of Mont Saint-Michel, and the vast Palace of Versailles attest to its rich history.
The City: Rouen
Rouen, France, the capital of the province of Normandy in northern France, approximately 80 miles to the north of Paris (a trip of about an hour and a half by train). The medieval city of approximately 100,000 people is rich in history, art, and gastronomy. Other notable features are its proximity to the beaches of Normandy, especially famous for the D-Day landing during World War II; its museum and close association with Joan of Arc, a patron saint of France, who was burned at the stake in Rouen; the Notre-Dame Cathedral, made famous by a series of paintings by the Impressionist artist Claude Monet; and its delicious food, especially seafood and Camembert cheese.
You will be enrolled in six (6) credit hours of lower or upper division courses and will do a series of assignments, both orally and in writing, for your Georgia Southern professor. Additionally, as part of your immersion experience, each morning, Monday-Friday, in small groups, you will spend four hours practicing your language skills with native speakers who are trained in teaching their language to foreigners.
Partner Language School
The Alliance Française Normandie is part of a global network of language institutes in 132 countries that offers students at all levels, including beginners, the opportunity to learn French through a communicative and interactive approach. Accredited by the French government, the Alliance Française provides a firsthand experience with the language and culture of France to people from all over the world.
Excursions and Cultural Activities
- Guided visit of Rouen
- Guided visit to the Musée des Beaux‐Arts
- Guided visit to the Musée des Arts Décoratifs
- Macaron workshop with a French Chef
- Initiation to Sand Yachting
- Weekend excursion to the Musée de la Paix in Caen; q guided tour of the beaches of Normandy and the bunkers, as well as the American Cemetery; and a visit to Bayeux and its world-famous tapestries
- Guided visit to Giverney and the home of Claude Monet
- Guided visit to the coastal town of Etreat
- Guided visit to Paris, featuring a trip down the River Seine in the bateaux mouches
- Participation in the national “Day of Music” on June 21
- Participation in the festivities of Bastille Day on July 14
Program Cost and Eligibility
Program Cost: $4,497
- 4 weeks of intensive language learning
- Homestays with carefully selected families in Bordeaux
- Cultural activities in Bordeaux sponsored by the Alliance Française
- International health insurance (required by Georgia Southern)
Does Not Include:
- Georgia Southern Tuition & Fees ($1,094.16)
- Airfare to Paris (approx. $1,500)
- Lunches and dinners daily (approx. $450)
- Incidental expenses (public transportation, etc.)
- Application and Deposit: $500 Non-Refundable Fee due by February 15, 2024. (This amount will apply to the Program Costs. If application is accepted, deposit is non-refundable; if application is rejected, deposit will be refunded to student.)
- 1st Installment: $1,998.50 Due March 1, 2024
- 2nd Installment: $1,946.00 Due March 25, 2024
- Insurance Payment (Required): $52.50 Due March 25, 2024
The $500 application fee is non-refundable. 80% of the remaining funds are refundable up to 40 days before the program start date, since program services are contracted in advance and must be paid whether or not the student is able to continue with the program.
- 2.0 Cumulative GPA
- Commitment to speak French during the program
Many forms of financial aid can be applied to the study abroad program costs; please note that the Hope scholarship applies to your Georgia Southern summer tuition, although it cannot be used to pay the program costs themselves. Georgia Southern students who intend to pay all or part of the study abroad program cost with financial aid should meet with their academic and financial aid advisor ASAP and should apply for summer financial aid no later than March 1, 2024. Students from other University System of Georgia schools should contact their academic advisor and financial aid office at their home institution for instructions.
All participants need a valid passport to enter France. Please secure the passport as soon as possible. Medical and liability documents will be provided by the Study Abroad Office for each participant to complete prior to departure. International health insurance is included in the programs fees and is required by Georgia Southern.
Students from other accredited universities are invited to enroll in our Study Abroad programs. In order to receive credit at their home institutions, however, they must enroll as transient students at Georgia Southern for the summer.
Have Any Questions? Please Contact Us!
Last updated: 11/10/2023