Department of Middle Grades and Secondary Education
Nurturing Educators with Specialized Programs
Explore a range of programs at Georgia Southern University’s College of Education, tailored for both budding and seasoned educators. Here, you’ll delve into undergraduate and graduate courses across middle grades, secondary education, and more, with specializations in areas like English, mathematics, science, social studies, and health and physical education (PE).
Embrace opportunities for practical learning and add credentials in ESOL or gifted education. This comprehensive journey prepares you for a vibrant teaching career, meeting student needs and ensuring you’re well-equipped to inspire future generations for years to come.
Educating the Teachers of Tomorrow
Dive into undergraduate studies in fields like Health and Physical Education, Middle Grades, or Secondary Education. Or, elevate your expertise with graduate programs with multiple concentrations that provide you with leadership and research skills to explore advancement in your field. These paths, blending hands-on experience with academic rigor, prepare you for a dynamic career in the ever-evolving world of education.
- Bachelor of Science in Education in Health and Physical Education
- Bachelor of Science in Education in Middle Grades Education
- Bachelor of Science in Education in Secondary Education
- Master of Arts in Teaching in Health and Physical Education
- Master of Arts in Teaching in Middle Grades Education
- Master of Arts in Teaching in Secondary Education
- Master of Education in Middle Grades Education
- Master of Education in Secondary Education
- Master of Education in Teaching Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Students (TCLD/ESOL)
Students enrolled in our programs are fully prepared for a career as an educator through a well-established curriculum and committed faculty.
Our programs are designed to prepare students for professional development and career advancement.
Financial Aid Opportunities
Students pursuing a degree within the department can also apply for a variety of scholarships, grants, and other types of aid.
Georgia Southern’s programs in Health & Physical Education, Middle Grades Education, and Secondary Education offer diverse career opportunities. Graduates become teachers, curriculum designers, and academic coaches, excelling in positions at the State of Georgia, the Georgia Department of Education, and various educational institutions. Graduates with a Bachelor’s degree in Education can expect to make $41,092 a year per the Georgia State Salary Schedule. With years of experience and advanced degrees, graduates can expect to make over $60,000.
Old content – Department of Middle Grades and Secondary Education
The Department of Middle Grades and Secondary Education at Georgia Southern University offers a variety of programs to prepare teachers and provide advanced professional development. Programs at the undergraduate level include middle grades education (4-8); secondary education (6-12) with specializations in biology, chemistry, English, history, mathematics and physics; and health and physical education (P-12).
The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) program offers initial teacher preparation at the graduate level in middle grades education, health and physical education, and Spanish education, as well as secondary education in areas of biology, broad field science, chemistry, economics, English, history, geography, mathematics, physics, and political science. The department offers Master of Education (M.Ed.) degrees in middle grades and secondary education and in Teaching Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students (TCLD/ESOL). It also offers the Teaching and Learning Education Specialist (Ed.S.) program in middle grades education in areas of language arts, reading, math, science, and social studies and in secondary education in areas of biology, broad field science, business, chemistry, economics, English, geography, history, mathematics, physics, and political science education. In addition to these degree programs, the department also offers endorsements in English of speakers of other languages (ESOL), gifted education, and teacher support and coaching.
The programs are devoted to preparing P-12 teachers to:
- address the diverse academic needs of all students
- implement high academic standards for all students
- develop school and community partnerships as part of school instructional programs
- affect student learning among special school populations
- incorporate technological resources to enhance student learning
- apply best practices in P-12 schools
Explore your interests in the following degree programs, and find out which program is right for you!
- Health and Physical Education B.S.Ed. – Statesboro Campus
- Middle Grades Education B.S.Ed. – Statesboro Campus
- Secondary Education B.S.Ed. – Armstrong, Statesboro Campuses
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Endorsement (Undergraduate Level) – Online
- Gifted In-Field Endorsement-Undergraduate Level – Online
- Teaching and Learning Ed.S. – Online
- Teaching M.A.T.
- Middle Grades Education M.Ed. – Online
- Secondary Education M.Ed. – Online
- Teaching Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Students (TCLD/ESOL) M.Ed. – Online
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) Endorsement (Graduate Level) – Online
- Gifted In-Field Endorsement (Graduate Level) – Online
- Teacher Support and Coaching Endorsement – Online