Honors Alternative Break Trips
The Honors College supports students participating in alternative break trips, and many students use these trips to satisfy their experiential learning requirement. Students will find a great many alternative break trips sponsored by the Office of Leadership and Community Engagement here.
Additionally, the College sponsors several Honors Alternative Break Trips. These programs are designed to be intensive experiences that immerse students in different communities and themes. By taking students outside of their “comfort zone,” these faculty-led programs can facilitate a deeper exploration and appreciation of academic and social issues.
The one trip that we are offering this year is:
Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes
Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes
The Honors College is sponsoring an alternative break trip for the upcoming March 2024 Spring Break to work with Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes in Rutledge, GA. Camp Blue Skies provides camps to adults with developmental disabilities and enhances their lives through recreation, socialization and life skills education. Their camps are held in the spring and fall in Georgia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Camp Twin Lakes is a network of camps for children and families with serious illnesses, disabilities, and other challenges. Participants in this alternative break trip will work with the staff and volunteers from both camps as they create a fun and engaging week of activities. Students will serve in two roles as cabin counselors and activity leaders.
Program Dates: Tuesday, March 12 to Sunday, March 17, 2024
Application Deadline: January 29, 2024
To Apply, Click Here: Camp Blue Skies at Camp Twin Lakes Application. (Make sure you log in to MyGeorgiaSouthern and use your Georgia Southern account to access this form.)
We are seeking a variety of students across majors and years as well as a good mix of new students and returners. Previous experience on this trip or with adults with developmental disabilities is not necessary. And previous experience on the trip is not a guarantee of selection this year.
All accepted applicants will also need to complete online volunteer forms for the camps.
Cost: $50. There is a $50 fee for all participants. Please note the payment link and deadline will be shared with accepted applicants.
COVID-19 PROTOCOLS: Covid Vaccinations and Boosters are strongly recommended but not required to attend camp. At the moment no pre-camp testing is planned. If there is an increased risk of Covid-19 leading up to camp, Camp Blue Skies may ask that volunteers and campers complete a rapid covid test prior to camp. If somebody tests positive for Covid-19 they will be asked to go home. Everyone else will continue on with camp as usual, and we will closely monitor anyone that may have been exposed. Rapid covid tests will be available on site as needed.
Dates for Camp and Mandatory Meetings:
Please note: There are several mandatory pre-trip, in-trip, and post-trip meetings. Students who participate on the trip must attend all meetings. All meetings will take place on Zoom.
- Wednesday, February 14, 6:00-7:30 pm: Meet the Georgia Southern team. This meeting will bring the Georgia Southern team together to meet, learn names, and hear a little bit about what to expect.
- TBA: Camp Blue Skies Training Meeting. This meeting will be run by Camp Blue Skies staff. This is a mandatory meeting for all volunteers.
- Wednesday, March 6, 6:00-7:00 pm: Final preparation. This meeting is the final meeting before camp. In addition to discussing camp and what to expect, we will finalize transportation plans and packing lists.
- WEEK OF CAMP: Leave Statesboro campus at 12:00 noon, Tuesday, March 12 to arrive at Camp Twin Lakes by 3:00 pm. Return is on the afternoon of Sunday, March 17.
- All students MUST attend daily check-in meetings during the week of camp. These will take place after lunch.
- Wednesday, March 20, 6:00-7:30 pm: This is a mandatory, post-camp debriefing meeting.
Participants will stay in cabins at Camp Twin Lakes.
Students will have to transport themselves to Rutledge, GA, a three-hour drive away. Carpooling will be arranged for the week of camp.
Meals are covered at the camp.
This trip has a fee of $50 per participant. Full payment is required once students are selected. Details on payment will be sent to each accepted applicant.
For more information, contact Dr. Francis Desiderio at email@example.com
Last updated: 1/22/2024